I began writing a post on the recent debate surrounding the historicity of Adam and Eve; namely, whether a historical Adam and Eve is necessary to Christian belief. The post quickly became a long, laborious rant that was not well-organized and and was not particularly positive in its outlook, so I decided to switch gears. Are there any beliefs that for you are necessary? Late last year I asked this same question of Jesus' divinity, but today I'm interested in the whole range of beliefs. I'll give you a few examples, feel free to respond to these questions and others:
- Is a historical Adam and Eve necessary?
- Is it necessary for Jesus to be divine?
- Is it necessary for Matthew to have actually written the gospel with his name?
- Is a literal reading of Genesis necessary?
- How about Exodus?
- Did Jesus have to literally perform the miracles attributed to him?
- Is a physical resurrection necessary?
- Is the male-ness of God necessary?